[BuildTools] --enable-doscompile, msvc, mingw

Kipp Martin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Tue Nov 21 17:11:56 EST 2006

Hi Lou

> 	There are some interesting issues, and one of them is getting configure
> to abandon its GCC preferences. There are already a number of hooks in coin.m4,
> but they're not all coordinated. I'd like to propose the following: Instead of

I am a Mac OS X person, but I also build my project and other COIN
projects on Windows frequently.  I use the COIN-OR configure tools right
"out of the box" with MSYS and the Microsoft cl and link. I have not had
much trouble and found that just using

./configure

works. It picks up cl and link. Of course they need to be in the PATH
environment variable.

Forget cygwin and mingw they make a Windows build too complicated --
just get MSYS (I think the download is less than 5 MB). The only time I
needed options with ./congigue was when building with the AMPL project
and used

./configure CXX="cl"

Cheers