[BuildTools] Soooo slow

kmartin kipp.martin at chicagogsb.edu
Thu Dec 21 01:21:59 EST 2006

Hi Andreas, Lou, and Ted:

>>On my machine, Cygwin is just SOOOOO slow, I believe because  of some
>>security settings (virus checker?)...  That's why I hate to look at the
>>Cygwin configuration ;)
>

> 	My experience says you're right about this.  When I turn off the
> on-access scan on my antivirus, things go better. Not much (:-) but every bit
> helps.

Help me out here. Why are you guys using Cygwin? It always seems to
cause so much trouble with BuildTools and other Coin projects. I find it
so much easier to work with Linux or Mac OS X. Then, when I need to
build a binary for Windows I use the Visual Studio cl compiler (which is
free) and Msys.  It seems like people spend a PHENOMENAL number of hours
trying to get Cygwin to work. Is the only reason to have access to a
Fortran compiler? I guess if you want to build Ipopt in the Windows
world Cygwin is necessary unless you want to spend big bucks on a
non-gcc FORTRAN compiler.

Cheers,

--
Kipp Martin