[Bonmin] Setting up Bonmin 1.8.7 with CPLEX 12.9

Neumann, Christoph (IOR) christoph.neumann at kit.edu
Tue May 21 10:47:17 EDT 2019

Dear experts,

I am trying to set up Bonmin 1.8.7 with CPLEX as MILP-Solver under Windows
10 using Cygwin and could really use some help. The configure script runs
through successfully but I get an error message when executing the build
command:

make[1]:Leaving directory "/cygdrive/c/Programme/Bonmin-1.8.7/build/Cbc"

make: *** [Makefile:312: all-recursive] Error 1

I had previously installed Bonmin (1.8.6) without CPLEX and it worked fine
so I assume that the problem has to do with CPLEX even though the error
occurs after leaving the Cbc folder.

Below, I provide some details that seem relevant:

I installed an academic version of CPLEX 12.9, obtained the required third
party code for Bonmin as described in the instructions and used the command

./configure
--with-cplex-lib="C:\Programme\IBM\ILOG\CPLEX_Studio129\cplex\lib\x64_window
s_vs2017\stat_mdd\cplex1290.

lib" \

--with-cplex-incdir="C:\Programme\IBM\ILOG\CPLEX_Studio129\cplex\include\ilc
plex"

for the configuration. It exits with the message `Main configuration of
Bonmin successful`, so at least it seems that this part worked. I was a bit
confused when specifying the path to the CPLEX library, as I did not find a
libcplex.a file. Instead, the CPLEX-documentation  states:

  lib\<compiler>\<libformat>:

                Library files that contain CPLEX (cplex1290.lib) and

                CPLEX extensions to the C++ version of Concert Technology
(ilocplex.lib).

so I assumed that cplex1290.lib is the required file(?).

For <compiler> I had the options: <x64_windows_vs2015, x64_windows_vs2017>
and for <libformat>: <stat_mda, stat_mdd> and I tried out all four
variations.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Christoph