[Bonmin] Assertion failure in OsiBranchingObject.cpp

Tony Kelman kelman at berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 18 08:46:34 EDT 2015

I'm seeing the assertion at
https://projects.coin-or.org/Osi/browser/trunk/Osi/src/Osi/OsiBranchingObject.cpp?rev=2016#L629
fail when I run a debug build (./configure --enable-debug) of OS 2.9.2, on
both Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows, with the Bonmin solver on the attached
integer quadratically constrained instance problem.osil. The code around the
failing assertion hasn't changed in some time, but I'm seeing it get hit in
some cases when info->solution_[columnNumber_] is greater than
info->upper_[columnNumber_], and info->upper_[columnNumber_] is an integer
so floor(value+0.5) == value, and fabs(value-nearest) == 0 and the assertion
fails since info->integerTolerance_ is nonzero. See
https://gist.github.com/tkelman/f8d41772e962f3a872f3 for a log in gdb
including a backtrace of where in bonmin this is getting called that fails
the assertion.

Is the assertion logic flawed, or is there a bug in bonmin that means this
OsiSimpleInteger::createBranch function should not be getting called here?

Thanks,
Tony