[Bonmin] bonmin and ampl external function

Andreas Waechter andreasw at watson.ibm.com
Fri Mar 2 18:37:42 EST 2007

Hi Roy,

> What I am sure is my code could just calculate the value of the integration
> function and it doesn't provide the first and second direvatives. Does this
> explain why Bonmin couldn't work with my external function? But why Bonmin
> couldn't load amplfunc.dll file? Does it have something to do with the first
> and second direvative?

I would think so.  The Ampl Solver Library (ASL) that is linked into
Bonmin knows that first and second derivatives are provided, and I would
think that this explains why it refuses to load your amplfunc.dll.

If you want to use bonmin with your external function, you need to somehow
provide the derivatives.  One avenue might be to use automatic
differentiation (I have used ADOL-C in that context before when we had an
external function that is computed by code that only provided the function
value).  However, that probably won't work if you are actually integrating
something (where you have lots of "if" statements in your code which are
not nice for automatic differentiation methods...).

> I will try IPOPT soon and give you the result soon.

If you already know that your DLL doesn't provide those derivatives, ipopt
won't work either.

Regards,

Andreas