[Bonmin] Illegal index error

Matthias Tichy mtt at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Jul 18 07:14:30 EDT 2007

Dear developers,

i have succesfully compiled and installed bonmin. Unfortunately,
something seems to be wrong with my local version (branch 0.1 installed
according to GettingStarted). The following simple ampl-file is working
with bonmin over NEOS but not with my local bonmin installation:

reset;
option solver bonmin;
var v1, binary;
minimize obj: 0.5*(0.1*(1-v1)+0.6*v1)+0.5*(0.2*v1+0.9*(1-v1));
solve;
display v1;

It seems that something is wrong with my installation. Do you have any
idea about the mistage i made? Which version of bonmin is used by NEOS,
maybe this is another version?

Thanks,

mtt

The local output is:

This program contains Ipopt, a library for large-scale nonlinear
optimization.
  Ipopt is released as open source code under the Common Public License
(CPL).
          For more information visit http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt

IpOp0008I
               Num      Status      Obj             It       time
IpOp0009I     1        OPT         0.4            5        0.004
Illegal index 0 in OsiClpSolverInterface::setInteger
OsiClpSolverInterface::setInteger
Illegal index
can't open /tmp/at15294.sol

The AMPL-generated .nl file is

g3 0 1 0        # problem v1
  1 0 1 0 0      # vars, constraints, objectives, ranges, eqns
  0 0    # nonlinear constraints, objectives
  0 0    # network constraints: nonlinear, linear
  0 0 0  # nonlinear vars in constraints, objectives, both
  0 0 0 1        # linear network variables; functions; arith, flags
  1 0 0 0 0      # discrete variables: binary, integer, nonlinear (b,c,o)
  0 1    # nonzeros in Jacobian, gradients
  0 0    # max name lengths: constraints, variables
  0 0 0 0 0      # common exprs: b,c,o,c1,o1
O0 0
n0.5
0 0 1
k0
G0 1
0 -0.09999999999999999

The NEOS output is:

---------- Begin Solver Output -----------
Executing /home/neos/neos-solvers/bonmin-ampl/bonmin-ampl-driver.py
File exists
You are using the solver bonmin.
Executing AMPL.
processing data.
processing commands.

1 variable, all binary
0 constraints
1 linear objective; 1 nonzero.

bonmin:

This program contains Ipopt, a library for large-scale nonlinear
optimization.
  Ipopt is released as open source code under the Common Public License
(CPL).
          For more information visit http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt

IpOp0008I
               Num      Status      Obj             It       time
IpOp0009I     1        OPT         0.4            5        0.002
OA0003I New best feasible of 0.4 found after 0.000999 sec.
Cbc0012I Integer solution of 0.4 found by heuristic after 0 iterations
and 0 nodes (
Cbc0013I At root node, 0 cuts changed objective from 0.4 to 0.4 in 1 passes
Cbc0014I Cut generator 0 (Outer Approximation Supporting Hyperplanes for
NLP optimum) - 0 row cuts (0 active), 0 column cuts
Cbc0014I Cut generator 1 (GMI) - 0 row cuts (0 active), 0 column cuts
Cbc0014I Cut generator 2 (Probing) - 0 row cuts (0 active), 0 column cuts
Cbc0014I Cut generator 3 (covers) - 0 row cuts (0 active), 0 column cuts
Cbc0014I Cut generator 4 (MIR) - 0 row cuts (0 active), 0 column cuts
Cbc0014I Cut generator 5 (Outer Approximation local enumerator) - 1 row
cuts (0 active), 0 column cuts
Cbc0014I Cut generator 6 (Outer Approximation feasibility checker) - 0
row cuts (0 active), 0 column cuts
Cbc0001I Search completed - best objective 0.4, took 0 iterations and 0
nodes (0.00 seconds)
Finished
/tmp/neos-6635/at6636
bonmin: Optimal
v1 = 1

bonmin:

This program contains Ipopt, a library for large-scale nonlinear
optimization.
  Ipopt is released as open source code under the Common Public License
(CPL).
          For more information visit http://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt

IpOp0008I
               Num      Status      Obj             It       time
IpOp0009I     1        OPT         0.4            4        0.002
OA0003I New best feasible of 0.4 found after 0.001 sec.

--

Matthias Tichy                      Work: +49 5251 60 3323
Department of Computer Science      Fax : +49 5251 60 3530