[ADOL-C] ADOLC Speed Diff 1.8 vs 2.5.2

Andrea Walther andrea.walther at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Nov 19 02:09:02 EST 2014

Hi Scott,

> I notice it writes to files A LOT and not a huge amount of data (any
> flags to keep this in memory?)

that is most probably the reason why the current version is so slow.
It is really important to avoid the writting on disc to get a reasonable
speed.

In the directory

.../ADOL-C/include/adolc/internal

there is a file

usrparms.h

There you can increase the buffer size for

OBUFSIZE
LBUFSIZE
VBUFSIZE
TBUFSIZE

to such a large value that the files are not written on disc.
Alternatively you could use a

.adolcrc

file. I attach an example file. This would avoid the recompilation
if you have to change the buffer sizes.

And finally it is important that you use

trace_off()

and do NOT use

trace_off(1) or something like that

because this would force ADOL-C to write the files on disc.

Hope this helps. Otherwise just email again.

Best regards

Andrea

--
Prof. Dr. Andrea Walther
Lehrstuhl fuer Mathematik und ihre Anwendungen

Email: andrea.walther at uni-paderborn.de
Phone: ++49 5251 602721
Fax:   ++49 5251 603728