[ADOL-C] ADOL-c on Mac OS X Mavericks

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kshitij at math.upb.de
Wed May 14 09:58:26 EDT 2014

Hello everyone,

so as Max wrote earlier. The ADOL-C version 2.5.0 compiles cleanly using
gcc 4.7 from Macports on Mac OS X, with both ColPack and openmp support.

For those that wish to use clang compiler, they can now use the SVN
trunk (revision 511 and above)

svn co https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/ADOL-C/trunk

You will need to use CXXFLAGS="-std=c++11" and there is no openmp
support in clang.

Changes in trunk since version 2.5.0 will be released soon in version 2.5.1.

I hope this helps Dominique Orban.

Cheers
Kshitij.

As on 2014-05-14 14:27h, Max Sagebaum did write:
> Hello @ all,
>
> I tested if ADOL-c works on Mac OS X Mavericks with the clang compiler shipped by Apple and the gcc-4.7 compiler from MacPorts.
>
> With the gcc-4.7 compiler from Macports I had no problem. The configuration was:
>
> Normal: ./configure --enable-docexa --enable-addexa
> OpenMP: ./configure --enable-docexa --enable-addexa —with-openmp-flag=-fopenmp
>
> But the “--enable-docexa --enable-addexa” flags are only there to build the examples. You can get the MacPorts gcc by Downloading MacPorts from http://www.macports.org/install.php
>
> In your terminal you can the install gcc with
>> sudo port install gcc47
> I also recommend to get the old apple gdb debugger
>> sudo port install gdb-apple
>
> If you want to set the gcc47 as the default compiler you can run
>> sudo port select --set gcc mp-gcc47
>
> With the clang compiler from Apple there are some minor problems which I communicated to the ADOL-c team.  But they will be fixed in the near future.
>
> The configuration is nearly the same:
> Normal: ./configure --enable-docexa --enable-addexa CXXFLAGS=“-O2 -std=c++11”
>
> Currently the C++11 standard needs to be used in order to reduce the number of warnings the clang compiler generates. If this is still needed after the updates to ADOL-c I can not say.
> There is no OpenMP configuration as the apple clang compiler currently does not support OpenMP.
>
> I also tested with both version the colpack support and there were no problems with gcc and some minor problems with clang. They will also be fixed.
> Please keep in mind that colpack should be compiled with the same compiler which is used for ADOL-c. Otherwise you can get some strange linking behavior.
>
> Cheers
>
> Max

Dr. Kshitij Kulshreshtha

Institut für Mathematik,