[ADOL-C] Operations on passive adoubles? Nonsequential active adouble memory?

David.Seelbinder at dlr.de David.Seelbinder at dlr.de
Tue May 13 07:55:19 EDT 2014

Dear Kshitij,

I do feel stupid now, and rightfully so. Sometimes it is just the thing you don’t expect that makes the difference. Thank you very much for your fast and helpful response.

Please allow me to ask one more question:

adouble Func(adouble* arg1, adouble* arg2)

I want to compute the gradient of Func with respect to arg1. Then compute the jacobian of the gradient with respect to arg2. This should yield a 2nd order derivative sparse matrix with dimension size(arg1) x size(arg2).

I thought about using sparse_hess with respect to arg1 and arg2 and then extract the required results, but as both are large, this is not a good solution.

What would be the best way to do this with ADOL-C?

Kind regards,
David