[ADOL-C] performance question

Andrea Walther awalther at math.uni-paderborn.de
Wed Jun 12 15:40:28 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I forward the attached message since it was send to the
adolc mailing list but somehow became an uncaught bounce:

Hi all,

Now that my program works great with adol-c, I am looking deeper into
its computational efficiency. To do so, I am using intel Vtune to
analyse the hot spots. I tried 2 different implementation, with
surprising results.

In the first implementation, I allocate big arrays to store some
active variables. Imagine a cube and each of its faces. I allocate the
memory for each faces.

In the second implementation, I allocate the memory for a single face,
and overwrite the data for the subsequent faces. I was assuming that
this second way would be faster due to smallest memory allocation.
However, Vtune tells me that the 2nd way involves a costly
merge_2_index_domains call, which makes the program to run slower than
implementation 1.

Does this agree with your observations as well?
If you want, I could provide a simple test case for you to understand
better...
Antoine

---- end of forwarded message -----

Best regards

Andrea

--
Prof. Dr. Andrea Walther
Lehrstuhl fuer Mathematik und ihre Anwendungen

Email: andrea.walther at uni-paderborn.de
Phone: ++49 5251 602721
        ++49 5251 602724 (sekr.)
Fax:   ++49 5251 603728