[ADOL-C] buffer sizes

Alfonso Callejo alcallejo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 05:05:09 EDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm using ADOL-C 2.3.0 forward and reverse modes to compute a Jacobian
matrix. I'm looking at the buffer sizes to improve efficiency,
especifically at maxlive=counts[2] so that the program doesn't need to
write to a file. In small cases, it doesn't seem to reach the buffer limit
(see attached image counts0.png). But in bigger cases (see attached image
counts1.png), maxlive reaches a value of 65536, which looks like the limit
of a buffer.
Looking into usrparms.h, none of the buffer limits is 65536 (they are
524288 instead). Moreover, locint is set to unsigned int. Could the reason
be that the binaries I'm using (2.3.0 from Universitat Paderborn) were
compiled using the old 65536 limit? How can I be sure I'm not writing the
buffer to disk?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
Alfonso