[ADOL-C] Installing ADOLC-2.2.0

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kshitij at math.upb.de
Sat May 7 20:07:02 EDT 2011

Hello

As on 2011-05-08 01:25, Brad Bell did write:
> The suggestion below worked, but I do not understand. I thought that the
> autotools were designed so that configure and make commands do not
> require the autotools to be installed (and do not care what version of
> the autotools I have installed).

There are certain version of autotools that are not compatible with
certain other versions. They revised the API recently. Only when such a
conflict occurs does a user need to regenerate the files using his
autotools. I guess between libtool 2.2.6b and 2.2.10 is some such
change. I thought I had a quite uptodate system but I only have libtool
2.2.6b. In fact recently most OSS projects still using autotools are
recommending running a ./autogen.sh instead of a ./configure which
combines running autotools and ./configure due to such inconsistancies,
or they are moving to other build systems like CMake or SCons. But we
have to stick with what COIN-OR prescribes.

> The multiple level taping  CppAD/ADOL-C tests that worked with version
> 2.1.2 of ADOL-C do not work with version 2.2.0. For example, see
>     http://www.coin-or.org/CppAD/Doc/mul_level_adolc.cpp.xml

ADOL-C 2.2.0 has a new internal memory manager that does not assume LIFO
allocation of adoubles. This was a feature requested for sometime. I
think this might have something to do with the tests not working. The
new memory manager needs to be tested out in the wild to reveal all the
subtle bugs. I'll take a look and try to fix the breakage.

> I had to patch ADOL-C 2.1.2 to get it to compile with the tests (see
> attached shell script).
>
> P.S.
> Version 2.2.0 of ADOL-C is a much larger tarball. Why is this ?
>
> [bradbell at localhost install]$ ls -l ADOL-C*.tgz
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 bradbell bradbell  1620438 Dec 15  2009 ADOL-C-2.1.2.tgz
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 bradbell bradbell 12879117 Apr 12 00:00 ADOL-C-2.2.0.tgz

This is due to the fact that COIN-OR does not use the make dist method
for creating the tarball, and just packs everything we have checked into
the svn. One of the feature request was a Visual C++ version, which
required me to keep a copy of the VC++ runtime distributable in our svn.
If you just delete all .exe files in the tarball, it goes back to the
usual size.

> On 5/6/2011 9:05 AM, Kshitij Kulshreshtha wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> since your autotools/libtool are older you should run
>>
>> autoreconf -fi
>>
>> before you run ./configure
>>
>> Regards.
>> Kshitij.
>>
>> As on 2011-05-06 17:18, Brad Bell did write:
>>> When I execute the following script
>>>       #! /bin/bash -e
>>>       #
>>>       dir="ADOL-C-2.2.0"
>>>       if [ -e $dir ]
>>>       then
>>>           rm $dir
>>>       fi
>>>           tar -xzf $dir.tgz
>>>       cd $dir
>>>       #
>>>       ./configure --prefix=$HOME/prefix/adolc
>>>       make install
>>>
>>> I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> ... snip ...
>>>
>>> Making install in drivers
>>>     CC    drivers.o
>>>     CC    driversf.o
>>>     CC    odedrivers.o
>>>     CC    odedriversf.o
>>>     CC    taylor.o
>>>     LINK  libdrivers.la
>>> libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.6b, but the
>>> libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.10.
>>> libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.6b
>>> libtool: and run autoconf again.
>>> make[4]: *** [libdrivers.la] Error 63
>>> make[3]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>>> make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>>> make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
>>> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>>> [bradbell at localhost install]$

Dr. Kshitij Kulshreshtha