[ADOL-C] Building ADOL-C with OpenMP-support

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kshitij at math.upb.de
Sat Jul 16 07:27:16 EDT 2011

Hello,

As on 2011-07-16 10:26, Wolfgang Lorenz did write:
> Hi there,
>

> This is compiling all right, thank you. Just a short notice, though:
> When you try to compile ADOL-C 2.1.12 with OpenMP-Support AND the
> system doesn't provide the automake tools, compiling fails with:
>
>     [...]
>     Making all in test
>     make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/adolc/ADOL-C-2.1.12/ADOL-C/test'
>     ../../doltlibtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++  -g -O2   -o powexam powexam.o ../src/libadolc.la  -lm
>     libtool: link: g++ -g -O2 -o .libs/powexam powexam.o  ../src/.libs/libadolc.so -lm -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/home/wolfgang/adolc_base/lib64
>     ../src/.libs/libadolc.so: undefined reference to `omp_get_num_threads'
>     ../src/.libs/libadolc.so: undefined reference to `omp_get_thread_num'
>     [...]

Fortunately this is only the compilation of a test program (which
doesn't use openmp). The library is successfully compiled before.
Nonetheless error messages are bad.

OpenMP does not seem to be widely used among ADOL-C users, so we don't
get enough feedback and bug reports about that part of the code.

> It helps to add the lines
>
>     AM_CFLAGS               = @ac_adolc_cflags@
>     AM_CXXFLAGS             = @ac_adolc_cxxflags@
>
> to ADOL-C/test/Makefile.am before creating the configure script. (I
> attached a patch against current SVN trunk.)

I'll apply your patch to the svn trunk. As soon as I've ported the
OpenMP initialisation code to the new internal memory manager, I'll get
back to you about testing it before I make a release. Expect an Email
about mid August.

Thanks.

P.S. Also thanks to Brad Bell about his hint for using the OpenMP memory
manager.

--
Dr. Kshitij Kulshreshtha

Institut für Mathematik,