[ADOL-C] ADOL-C fails to build, warns about libtool version mismatch

Kshitij Kulshreshtha kshitij at math.upb.de
Sun Dec 5 07:18:56 EST 2010

Hi

As on 2010-12-05 08:12, Cong Ma did write:
> On 12/05/2010 01:10 PM, Cong Ma wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install the ADOL-C library on a Fedora 14 system but the
>> package failed to build from source.  The configure script ran
>> successfully with mostly default options, the only exception being the
>> --prefix option set to `/usr/local'.  After that, the Makefile was
>> generated, but the `make' process was interrupted with the following
>> error messages:
>>
>> Making all in ADOL-C
>> Making all in src
>> Making all in drivers
>>   CC    drivers.o
>>   CC    driversf.o
>>   CC    odedrivers.o
>>   CC    odedriversf.o
>>   CC    taylor.o
>>   LINK  libdrivers.la
>> libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.6b, but the
>> libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.10.
>> libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.6b
>> libtool: and run autoconf again.
>>
>> (The libtool version number 2.2.10 reported in the above message is the
>> one from my Fedora 14 installation.)
>>
>> I'm not sure what I can do so that the package can pass the build
>> process.  Running autoreconf doesn't seem to fix this problem.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any comments.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Cong

> Well... I replaced the ltmain.sh script in the autoconf directory by the
> stock one shipped with libtool-2.2.10, and it worked.

This can be done automatically by running autoreconf with the switches
-f and -i.

Since the distribution is created on a certain system the
autoconf/automake/libtool versions from that system are used. For newer
systems running autoreconf -fi before configure is recommended.

--
Kshitij Kulshreshtha

Institut für Mathematik,
Universität Paderborn,