[Coin-rpx] testbeds for data & health systems optimization

Robin Lougee-Heimer robinlh at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 6 10:25:23 EST 2006

Matthew Realff , NSF Program Director of Service Enterprise Engineering,
is helping to organize a workshop on "Open Standards" with NIST on the
12-13th of March 2006 in Washington DC.

The workshop will have discussions around the creation of open standards
and
their role in manufacturing and ehealth.  One one of the expected outcomes
from the workshop will be definitions of testbeds that will be helpful for
the academic community to test algorithms on and in particular the
representation of data for health systems optimization.

This is an initiative across NSF divisions and involves two other PO's,
Stephen Nash and Abhi Deshmuk,

Matthew's is looking to establish "moonshot" problems that can be used to
make the case for the participation of OR in the development of the next
generation of cyberinfrastructure.  We could think of these as being
advanced testbeds.  There will be significant investments made in this
infrastructure, and the physicists, geologists etc are way ahead inside of
NSF in terms of articulating their needs for what this infrastructure
needs to be.

If you have any thoughts about how we could develop at least the outlines
of these types of moonshot problems, this would be a very helpful
contribution.

Matthew's email address is mrealff at nsf.gov.

Robin Lougee-Heimer
IBM TJ Watson Research Center
1101 Kitchawan Road, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
ph: 914-945-3032   fax: 914-945-3434
robinlh at us.ibm.com
http://www.coin-or.org