[Ipopt] linear solvers with internal support for 64-bit integers

Sean Hardesty sean.hardesty at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 07:25:10 EDT 2018

 The crash doesn't occur with the newer HSL solvers. Here’s what I’ve found
so far - I would be glad to hear if I’ve gotten anything wrong, and suggest
that a summary such as the one below might be useful if included with the
documentation about the solvers. It is hard to do large-scale optimization
with the 32-bit limit.

Internal support for 64-bit integers in the 32-bit interface:
MA27: no
MA57: no, but at some point Mathworks used to use a modified version that
did support 64-bit integers before switching to UMFPACK. I don't know
whether this version is available somewhere.
MUMPS: no as of 4.10.0 (the version downloaded by Ipopt), yes as of 5.1.0.
I haven't tried to use 5.1.0+ with Ipopt yet.
WSMP: no (it failed in the same place as MA27, MA57, and MUMPS 4.10.0)
MA86: yes (it worked where MA27, MA57, MUMPS 4.10.0, and WSMP failed)
MA97: yes (presumably the same as MA86, though I haven't tried it yet)
PARDISO: ? (I've had difficulty linking against MKL on my system, so I
haven't tried it)

    Thanks,
    Sean Hardesty