[Ipopt] IPOPT performance (and impact of BLAS library)

Jon Herman jon.herman at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 8 16:53:56 EDT 2014

Hello,

I am working on implementing IPOPT in a piece of software that has a
need for very good performance. Unfortunately, it seems that right now
my total run-time is about 80% in IPOPT (that number excludes the
function evaluations, as well as any time setting up the problem, etc.).
For me to put IPOPT to good use, I'm hoping to make it run more
efficiently, and even out the workload between IPOPT and the function
evaluations, preferably shifting the work to the function evaluations as
much as possible.

Originally, I was using the BLAS/LAPACK that can be installed with
IPOPT. In an attempt to improve performance, I switched to OpenBLAS. To
my confusion, performance did not change at all. This is leading me to
believe that something other than the BLAS library is dominating the
cost. (I am certain I properly removed the old libraries when switching
BLAS implementation) I'm not sure how to effectively narrow down where
IPOPT is spending most of it's time, and how to subsequently improve
that performance.

I've made sure to try the ma27, ma57, ma77, ma86, ma97, and mumps
solvers. Performance varies among them, but 80% of the time spent in
IPOPT is the best result I achieve (which is typically with ma27 or
ma57, the other solvers are closer to 90%). I've also made sure to try
problems as small as 500 variables and 400 constraints, to as large as
110 000 variables and 80 000 constraints (and many points in between
those extremes). Performance is very consistent across that range (for a
given solver), again regardless of the BLAS library being used. I've
been doing this using the quasi-Newton approximation for the Hessian,
which I was hoping to get away with, but I suppose this may put a lot of
work into IPOPT's side of the court. I'll also mention that I'm calling
IPOPT through the PyIPOPT module (though I'm expecting this to create
only a small, fixed overhead).

If you have any thoughts on why IPOPT might be hogging such a large
fraction of my total run-time, and/or how I could improve this (or
determining if this might be entirely unavoidable), I would greatly
appreciate it! (and of course I'd be happy to provide additional
information if that would be useful)

Best regards,

Jon