[Ipopt] question on formulation of the objective function and IPOPT performance

Damien damien at khubla.com
Wed Jun 11 14:52:42 EDT 2014

All,

I'm looking at two ways to formulate the objective function in a new
optimisation model.  The first way is what you'd call the conventional
way I suppose, where you have a variety of variables contributing to the
objective value and you calculate the gradient and return that to
IPOPT.  The other way I'm considering is to equate the objective
function to a new variable in an extra equality constraint, and have the
new variable as the only variable in the objective, with a gradient of
1.0.  The new equality constraint then contributes first partial
derivatives like any other equation or constraint.

Mathematically (and I think algorithmically) these are equivalent, but I
was wondering if anyone who's done this before has seen a performance
difference between the two.

Cheers,

Damien