[Ipopt] gradient scaling and stopping criteria

Drosos Kourounis drosos at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 10 20:18:12 EST 2010

Dear Andreas,
I noticed that you are using the unscaled values
for the stopping criteria (tol excluded), although
I have specified specified automatic gradient-based
scaling. One would expect that when the problem is
scaled, then the stopping criteria would correspond
to the scaled values for infeasibility, complementarity etc...

Why this doesn't happen, and how could I enforce it?
It would be nice if we had a flag so that the scaled
values were considered for these thresholds if the user
has specified gradient scaling or something similar.
If the problem is not scaled, then it makes sense to
consider the unscaled values. Could you please shed
some light here?

Moreover, if I specify hessian approximation to be exact,
it is not clear what happens? I would expect, that if I
do not provide any hessian information and yet I desire
exact hessian approximation, then the algorithm would
use finite differences to calculate the columns of the
hessian. Could you please explain how could I have IPOPT
using finite differences to approximate the Hessian
whenever it needs it?

Best,
Drosos.