[Ipopt] Infinite Loop Problem With Precompiled Ipopt DLL v3.8.1

Chris Madziasz chrism at spiritech.cc
Wed May 19 09:30:39 EDT 2010

To Whom it May Concern,

I have downloaded the precompiled DLLs for Ipopt version 3.8.1 and built a
VB.NET wrapper around them within Visual Studio 2008 Professional.  Within
my wrapper I have incorporated a "multi-start" feature  that loops through
many uniformly distributed starting points within the defined design space
for a given optimization problem.  Inside of this looping I am creating a
new Ipopt problem with the DLL's "CreateIpoptProblem" function, solving with
"IpoptSolve", and then clearing the problem with "FreeIpoptProblem" before
continuing to the next starting point.  I am then tracking the best
objective function and its corresponding design variable optimums in an
effort to find a global minimum within the design space.  I have, however,
encountered an issue where in the execution of my project gets stuck in an
infinite loop within the Ipopt DLL's "IpoptSolve" function.  This occurs for
both the debug and release versions of the DLL and the starting point for
which the infinite loop occurs appears to be dependent on the option
tolerances that I define.  I would greatly appreciate any assistance from
anybody that has encountered this issue previously, or has recommendations
for a solution, and could point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance,

Chris Magdziasz

Spiritech Advanced Products, Inc.

Phone: 561-741-3441