[Coin-ipopt] Ipopt for nonlinear least-squares

damien at khubla.com damien at khubla.com
Thu Dec 21 10:23:43 EST 2006

Herve,

when I was at another company we used IPOPT for nonlinear regression of
distillation column models, using the QN Hessian.  Some problems had
nonlinear constraints.  It works quite well, but it isn't as efficient as
a good LM on problems with no constraints.  Make sure you get your scaling
right on the x's for the x^2 calculation, once x < 1 progress drops off
dramatically as x^2 -> 0, and that one variable doesn't swamp all the
others, like x1 >> x2.

Damien