[Dip] problem installing on Mac OSX (Yosemite)

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Sat Nov 7 16:35:48 EST 2015

Yup, that's how you need to do it with default OS X python if you don't use
a virtual environment. I would strongly suggest, though, that you just do
everything in a virtual environment. Virtual env (
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv) and vex (
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/vex) are useful utilities for creating virtual
environments. With a virtual environment, you won't need to "sudo."

Better yet, I would also strongly recommend abandoning OS X's python and
installing python with homebrew (http://brew.sh/). The homebrew python is
much better maintained and installs in a non-privileged location by
default. It's still not a bad idea to use a virtual environment, but it's
not necessary with homebrew.

Ted