[Dip] "Not a mixed-integer problem" message when using DIP with CPLEX

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Wed Jan 26 15:18:13 EST 2011

We've seen messages like this with CPLEX for a long time in many
contexts (not just DIP). Unlike most other solvers, CPLEX makes a very
strong distinction between an LP and a MIP. Although conceptually, the
only difference is whether there exist variables that are marked as
integer type or not, CPLEX takes the "problem type," as set by the
user, as strongly dictating what can and cannot be done when
manipulating the model. CPLEX also erases all solution information
when switching problem type. The use of Cgl actually requires the
problem type to be switched back and forth and this causes problems. I
thought we had actually fixed all of these problems over time, so if
you are seeing this error now, it should be an indication of a true
problem.

Ted