[Dip] using generateInitVars()

Matthew Galati Matthew.Galati at sas.com
Mon Aug 9 07:54:21 EDT 2010

It might be that your initial columns are "not effective".

By default, DIP price-and-cut periodically removes columns that have not been "effective". Currently, this means non-basic columns with effectiveness count < 0 - where an effectiveness unit is defined as +1 or -1 for each price iteration where its reduced cost < epsilon (+), otherwise (-).

This is a strategy to keep the size of the master LP basis small. It is the same idea people use for cuts in branch-and-cut.

To see what is getting "compressed", you can turn up the debugging log levels, LogLevel=5, LogDebugLevel=5. Look for the function markers by searching on the word "compressColumns". Warning -- you will get A LOT of debug information.

To turn off this feature, in your parameter file, set CompressColumns=0 in the appropriate section -- [DECOMP] or [PRICE_AND_CUT].

Matt