[Coin-discuss] CGL design

Matthew Galati magh at lehigh.edu
Sat Mar 11 14:01:33 EST 2006

Hi,

I would like to be able to use the CGL objects in a manner which is not
so dependent on OSI. For example, the idea of any cut generator object
is to return separating hyperplanes given a polyhedral description (the
linear model) and a point (typically the solution of some LP). But, in
my context, I found my point some other way (not by solving an LP) and
would like to just feed CGL the polyhedron and my point (double * x),
and get back valid inequalities that separate. For some classes of cuts,
this is clearly not possible - or, at least, not straightforward (e.g.,
gomory). But, for others, it should be possible and would be a cleaner
and more flexible design. Right now, I try to fake it, by creating a
dummy OSI object, loading the polyhedron (si.loadProblem), and setting
the point (si.setColSolution). Then I can use CGL. But, this itself is
not safe, as I have noticed, since some of the cut generators use other
information from OSI, like reduced costs - but as far as I can tell,
there is no way to set the reduced costs in OSI - so I must avoid any
cut generators that access reduced costs.

Thoughts?
Matt

--
Matthew Galati - Optimization Developer