[Coin-discuss] Can't get simple Osi and Clp example to work (Newbie Question)

Alexander Gose ahgose at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 10:42:36 EST 2006

I'm an extreme newbie to Coin-OR (and C++), and I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction to get a very simple example problem running.  I consulted the FAQs and documentation, and I was unsuccessful after several hours of trying.

Things you should know:
1)  I successfully downloaded and ran the makefile for Osi, Clp, and other packages to my computer (using Cygwin on Windows XP)
2)  The only thing I know about C++ is from Deitel and Deitel's "C++ How to Program" (so I don't know anything about makefiles other than how to run them)
3)  I successfully ran the makefile in Coin/Osi/Test, and I successfully ran the unitTest.exe file in Coin/Osi (although I did get the message "Assertion failed: mpsRc==0, file OsiSolverInterfaceTest.cpp, line 1757 This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. P! lease contact the application's support team for more information.")  So, all the *.o files, *.a files, *.hpp files and subdirectories were created.
4)  I tried running the following example: http://www.coin-or.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/COIN/Examples/Osi/basic.cpp?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain.  I used the following makefile: http://www.coin-or.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/COIN/Examples/Osi/Makefile.basic?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain and I appropriately changed "COIN_DIR := /home/COIN" (where my COIN directory is located) and ran makefile.basic according to the directions at: http://www.coin-or.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/COIN/Examples/Osi/README?rev=1.2;content-type=text%2Fplain.
  5) I also tried adding libraries with the -l flag when calling g++, and I tried compiling basic.cpp from the command line.  Every attempt yielded the same problem.
  6) I got pages and pages of error messages, the last portion of which looked like this:

/home/COIN/lib/libClp.a(ClpPredictorCorrector.o):ClpPredictorCorrector.cpp:(.tex
t+0x74f7): undefined reference to `CoinMessageHandler::operator<<(double)'
/home/COIN/lib/libClp.a(ClpPredictorCorrector.o):ClpPredictorCorrector.cpp:(.tex
t+0x7509): undefined reference to `CoinMessageHandler::operator<<(double)'
/home/COIN/lib/libClp.a(ClpPredictorCorrector.o):ClpPredictorCorrector.cpp:(.tex
t+0x7519): undefined reference to `CoinMessageHandler::operator<<(CoinMessageMar
ker)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [basic] Error 1

I would be very grateful for any help -- I'm looking forward to trying out Osi and Clp.    Thank you in advance,

Alex