[BuildTools] Proposal: XXX_SVN_REV change from quoted string to numeric

Gus Gassmann Horand.Gassmann at dal.ca
Thu Sep 2 14:49:33 EDT 2010

On 2 Sep 2010 at 10:37, Lou Hafer wrote:

> Stefan,
>
> > But I'm not so sure that this will be useful for him, because changes to
> > old stables will also bump up the XXX_SVN_REV, ...
>
>     True.  It's not a panacea. But within any of trunk, stable, or release, it's
> monotonically increasing. So within trunk,
> #if CLP_SVN_REV >= 42
>     // use new infeasible ray   (good guess  :-)
> #endif
> should work even if the revision number is bumped due to changes in a stable
> branch. Similarly within a given stable or release.
>
> > Apart from the above, having the revision number not quoted is a good
> > thing, I believe.
>
> 	I'll take that as a vote in favour of making SVN_REV numeric.  Seems
> like a good idea independent of whether it's a full solution for the problem at
> hand.
>
> > One could make XXX_VERSION unquoted and define an XXX_VERSION_QUOTED for
> > convenience ...
>
> 	I guess I'd like to see how the whole libtool versioning thing develops
> before committing to this. In theory, the libtool version string should be more
> accurate, but perhaps harder to parse?

There is also a question of just what constitutes a "version" I am saying this
because the proposed windows solution to this suggested a tool that
increments the version number every time I initiate a new _build command_,
completely irrespective of whether changes occurred between successive
compilations or not. I view that as completely unworkable.

Cheers

gus