[BuildTools] [Coin-tlc] Help with build system [ticket #foo]

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Mon May 17 04:50:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

>> My point was on projects that use non-standard locations of header files
>> as long as they are not installed.
>> E.g., if one downloads Cbc with all its dependencies, then one first
>> configures all projects, then calls make for all projects, and finally
>> calls make install.
>> Thus, when <basedir>/Cbc ist build, it need to access the Cgl header
>> files located in <basedir>/Cgl/src/CglAllDifferent,
>> <basedir>/Cgl/src/CglClique, ...
>> How does Cbc get the information about which -I flags to use if gnulib
>> is used?
>> Even worse for Bonmin, which does not even need to know that it depends
>> on Cgl, but may require the Cgl headers at build time.
>
> Now I got your point. I would solve that by using the automake
> conditional from the point 3 of the workflow. Since we know what -I flag
> has to be passed,

No, we do not want to know them.
Cgl should pass its compiler flags to higher level projects, so one does
not need to change every project that uses Cgl each time a new
cutgenerator is added (or something else changes in the flags).

> it should be OK. We can't use libtool here, but
> pkg-config would not help us anyway.

It does, I can just ask pkg-config about the compiler flags for a package.

Stefan