[BuildTools] Problems with commit_new_release

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Mon Oct 29 19:59:48 EDT 2007

Laszlo Ladanyi wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Andreas Waechter wrote:
>
>> Hi Ted,
>>
>>> I used the new scripts for preparing a new release of SYMPHONY this
>>> morning and there seems to be a few problems with the commit_new_release
>>> script. I have not spent enough time to extract all the details of what
>>> happened, but wanted to throw this out there, since I know there are a
>>> number of folks preparing releases right now. The first glitch I noticed
>>> was that the script exited after the following error:
>>>
>>> svn: 'ThirdParty/Glpk/glpk/configure.ac' is not a working copy
>>> svn: Can't open file 'ThirdParty/Glpk/glpk/configure.ac/.svn/entries':
>>> Not a directory
>>
>> This appears to be a problem with subversion.  Maybe there was a
>> problem communicating with the server...  I have seen this before
>> myself, I think, and I simply had to check out a new copy.
>
> I think Ted is right. The failure stems from glpk having its own
> configure.ac file. It is found by the find command, then it's patched
> (which, as you correctly say below, is fine) and finally an 'svn diff
> configure.ac' is done to it. svn rightfully says that it is not a
> working copy, and since there was an error, returns a non-zero exit
> value, and after that the script aborts.
>
> The simplest way to fix it is to first check whether the configure.ac
> file is managed by subversion or not.

Ah yes, I see now, too. I didn't put this together before. To solve this
problem and stop from patching all the configure.ac files for external
dependencies, can't we just only look for the configure.ac file in the
base directory and then the ones in the subdirectory having the same
name as the project? Don't all projects have this structure? Or not? I'm
not as good as you guys in implementing all the fancy script stuff :),
but shouldn't we be able to pull the name of the project out from
somewhere and just do find in the subdirectory only?

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs