[BuildTools] Problems with commit_new_release

Ted Ralphs tkralphs at lehigh.edu
Mon Oct 29 19:45:26 EDT 2007

Andreas Waechter wrote:

>> That's when I noticed that for some reason, the script was trying to
>> change the version numbers in the configure.ac files for not only
>> SYMPHONY, but all the dependent projects. Hence, it was trying to change
>> the version numbers for the CoinUtils release version, for instance,
>> back to 5.1stable. This seems like a bug.
>
> The easiest way to change things back to "5.1stable" was to do it for
> all configure.ac files that are found by 'find'.  You are right, this
> does change it also on other configure scripts, but those will not be
> committed back to the repository, so I didn't bother to make sure it is
> only changed in those configure.ac files that correspond to the
> particular project. The files that have been "incorrectly" changed will
> simply be ignored and deleted.

OK, that's what I thought, but since I have write permission on all the
projects, this was a bit scary :). I guess the commit is non-recursive,
though, so it won't do anything whacky. Still scary :).

>> The other thing that went wrong is that for some reason (I was not able
>> to ascertain why because I deleted the temporary directory before
>> realizing this), the script did not succeed in restoring the externals
>> in my stable directory. I had to do this by hand afterwards. I also had
>> to finish executing the rest of the script by hand after the above error
>> popped up. I guess I should file a bug report, but I wanted to see if
>> anyone else had seen this behavior. I'm sure I could figure out the
>> problem myself, but I'm running short of time to spend on it.
>
> If the commit_new_release script fails at some point (e.g., if there are
> problems with subversion), it simply quits and all remaining tasks are
> not done, including resetting the Externals.  That's unfortunate, but I
> didn't see a way to make it more stable in that sense.  If you have an
> idea, let me know.

Yes, but the command that is supposed to reset the externals comes
before the failure point in the script. So for some reason, it did not
get executed. I can maybe try to re-run the script to see what happened
if you want. Actually, I have releases for all the Cops projects to do
tonight, so I will see what happens with those.

Cheers,

Ted
--
Dr. Ted Ralphs