[Coin-bcpdiscuss] Variable LB fixed to 1 by BCP

Laszlo Ladanyi ladanyi at us.ibm.com
Wed May 9 11:52:22 EDT 2007

Reduced cost fixing can happen both on lower and on upper bounds. If a
variable is out of basis at its upper bound then if its reduced cost is very
negative then it can be fixed to its upper bound. The argument is the same
that you use when a variable is out of basis at its lower bound has high
positive reduced cost. It's just that the latter situation (especially when
the lower bound is 0) hapens a lot more frequently.

To check that things a re OK get the reduced costs and the warmstart
information (just use getWarmstart on the osi solver interface). The latter
will give you the basis status information for everything. In there look up
the status of your variable (watch out, it's a compressed array, there are 2
bits per entry). If it's out of basis at its upper bound and the reduced cost
of the var is very negative then you are OK.

Hope this helps,
--Laci