[Coin-bcpdiscuss] Information on the children of a node

Soumitra Pal mitra at cse.iitb.ac.in
Sun Jan 28 10:27:46 EST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to implement the branching strategy used by "P.H. Vance.
Branch-and-Price Algorithms for the One-Dimensional Cutting Stock
Problem, Computational Optimization and Applications, 9(3):211–228,
1998." for solving the cutting stock problem. The problem is solved
using column generation.

According to the strategy, on one branch the solver to the subproblem
should not generate one particular pattern (or column). So, I need to
identify the node in the BCP_user_lp::initialize_new_search_tree_node()
function. This should be easy if I could store the indices of the two
children created in the BCP_user_lp::set_actions_for_children() function
and check the index in the initialize_new_search_tree_node() function.
However, I cant see how to do this. It will be great if somebody
explains this.

Also, I will be thankful if you explain me the term "phase" as returned
by the function current_phase() in the BCP parlance.

Thanks in advance,
Soumitra.