[Coin-bcpdiscuss] Using BCP in parallel/distributed environment

alikoc at mail.utexas.edu alikoc at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 2 13:32:15 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I am a new user of BCP from UT Austin. I started using BCP two months ago, when
I started doing an NSF-supported internship in San Diego Supercomputer Center,
named 'CyberInfrastructure Experiences for Graduate students'. I have just
implemented BCP to my problem, and it works OK in single processor evironment.
But since here they provide us a nice parallel/distributed computing
environment, I want to parallelize my branch-price algorithm.

I have two questios:

First, do I need to install BCP in different format than the one described in
coin-or website (changing some parameters when configuring, making or
installing) in order to use it for parallel programming?

Second, although it says in the (quite outdated) manual that BCP does not work
with MPI, I found the classes/files necessary for MPI, when I go through the
source codes. My questions is, is it possible to use BCP with MPI, and if so,
do I need to do anything additional to the first question (except possibly
defining -DCOIN_HAS_MPI in the makefile)?

Also, I could not find a BCP manual other than the one by Dr. Ralphs and Dr.
Ladanyi in year 2001, which I think, is almost outdated. Is there any other
manual that I missed?

Thank you very much for your time

Ali KOC