[Coin-bcpdiscuss] Compile BCP 1.0.0 on SunOS 5.10

Dan Chen mailtodanchen at yahoo.ca
Mon Nov 20 11:29:27 EST 2006

Hi Lou,

The processors on the clusters that I am using are Opteron 285 SE
processors. The following is the output of the command 'uname -a',

"SunOS clhead 5.10 Generic_Patch i86pc i386 i86pc"

So I guess  __sparc is not defined.

  Dan

  Dan,

 You can see what's going wrong if you look in CoinSignal.hpp at the
indicated lines (98--101). You've reached the end of the file and
CoinSighandler_t is not yet defined. At this point, the #warning
directives
are trying to warn you that a default signal handler definition will be
used.
However, the compile command contains the option --pendantic-errors,
which means
that compiler warnings will be interpreted as errors. So, after the
compiler
warns you that #warn is a GCC extension, it declares an error and
aborts.

 But ... that doesn't really help. The real question is why the
declaration at line 82 is not reached. Given your environment (using
g++ under
Solaris 10) the symbols __sparc, __sun, and __GNUC__ should be defined.

 I've tried a build using GCC with Solaris 8, and I get no errors at
all.

 I can't do a full build with GCC on Solaris 10 because there are some
serious problems with the installation here.  I've sent a gripe to our
systems
folks.  In the meantime, I was able to do a test with just
CoinSignal.hpp and as
far as I can see, __sparc, __sun, and __GNUC__ are defined.  These
symbols are
normally defined by the compiler, so it's hard to see why they're not
present.
Which is to say, I can't duplicate your error.  So I'm at a bit of a
loss.  I'll
try again once our systems folks provide me with a working GCC
installation.

       Lou