[Coin-bcpdiscuss] Re: BCP: node buffering?

Joerg Herbers Joerg.Herbers at inform-ac.com
Thu May 4 12:15:45 EDT 2006

Laci,

thanks for the changes. I have finally been able to test the
enhancement with regard to my original implementation (all inner nodes
and user data is kept) and Francois' proposition of deleting only the
user data in the tree manager when the node is processed (as in the BAC
example).

However, when deactivating the explicit deletion of user data (i.e.
only using the RemoveExploredBranches option), I initially did not
obtain significant enhancements with regard to the original
implementation. Actually, it seems that there is a memory leak with
regard to user data. Adding "delete _user_data" to
BCP_tm_node::~BCP_tm_node(), memory requirements were reduced from 1.6GB
to 1.4GB. If I use the explicit deletion of user data from the BAC
example, memory requirements drop to 1.3GB, using both options yields
memory requirements in the same order of magnitude.

The RemoveExploredBranches seems to delete a node (along with those
parents that don't have additional children) when it is pruned. This may
explain the stronger effect of explicitly deleting user in the tree
manager. (In the latter case, we already delete the user data already
when the node has been processed.)

Could you check if I'm right with the  memory leak assumption (and
possibly correct the file in the repository)?

Thanks,
Joerg

>>> On 3/31/2006 at 4:44 AM, in message
<Pine.A41.4.21.0603302143180.23606-100000 at oslpp.watson.ibm.com>, Laszlo