[Coin-bcpdiscuss] Performance

acw at ascent.com acw at ascent.com
Mon Dec 12 18:21:24 EST 2005

We are in the process of migrating from OSL to COIN/Bcp.  Mostly the
process has gone quite well, but recently I received quite a shock
concerning performance.

I have a MIP problem which OSL completes in about 25 seconds; the same
problem takes COIN/Bcp about 290 seconds.  This is more than an order of
magnitude discrepancy, which would be unacceptable on some of our larger
problems.

I can think of several possible explanations.

We are using the BranchAndCut example almost unchanged; the only
modifications we have made were to interface the code to our LP server.
Perhaps BranchAndCut uses cut generation and variable selection that is
only appropriate to small problems, and we have to do more research to
figure out how to guide the branching process.  Maybe it's as simple as
selecting the right values for the branching control parameters.

Perhaps the main time-sink is communication between the TM and LP modules.
 BranchAndCut uses the "BCP_message_single" communications protocol, which
has to pack and unpack every LP problem and solution.  Doubtless this
could be streamlined, but we don't want to open that can of worms unless
the potential gain is great (like a factor of 3 or more).

And of course there is the possibility that we are doing something else
completely stupid that we're not even aware of.

So I'm appealing to the community.  What experiences have you had
regarding performance?  What approaches have worked?  What stupid mistakes
should we be careful to avoid?

If there is interest, I can post an MPS file containing the test problem
in question.

Thanks in advance.